SpaceBus

Potential new User

Hello all,

This is my first time trying out a persistent world in NWN. Currently I am trying to figure out how to install the character testing tool. I was excited to see NWN come to steam to help non-computer savvy people like myself use stuff like the CEP. My step father installed the original CEP over a decade ago and that made NWN much more enjoyable. I have been dabbling with mods and have completed the Aielund Saga a few times now. However, persistent worlds/online stuff is totally new to me. Any advice would be much appreciated! My favorite part of NWN was the ability to play D&D solo, so I'm hoping I can still enjoy solo play of this module. 

Thank you! 

I have created a character and have started training at the castle basement. I have selected Silvanus as my deity, but after reading the journal entries, perhaps a different deity may have been more appropriate. I found a PDF of the RoA handbook, and maybe Mielikki would make more sense. Do I need to make another character, or can a DM fix this, or does it matter? I grew up reading the Forgotten Realms novels, as I'm sure many of you did as well, and Silvanus made sense for my character, but my character is also chaotic good. 

First lets talk about how to use the character test module:

1)  Put the module in the Neverwinter Nights/module folder (this is the NWN in you document directory)

2) Start NWN

3) Select New

4) Select Other Modules...

5) Select Ann_Character_Tester_build_kit_6

6) Make a character

7) Play

Now - let me address some of your other questions. 

First - Realms of Annakolia are not set in Faerun or the Forgotten Realms.

Realms of Annakolia is built from my collected DM works and campaigns since D&D publication in the 1970s.  Realms of Annakolia predate Faerun - have never used Faerun, and are significantly different.  The world has elements from Tolken, Lovecraft, Poe, Adams, Summers, Liber, Gygax, and many more literay fantasy and SF writers.  The world also has unique stories and history written by Charissa, Halfling Heaven, Mkmddx, Athena, Flamecrow, Kormai, Dahkron, Roannon, Malishara, Wolfgang, and myself, to name a few.

here are a few links to subjects on Annakolia:

http://www.annakolia.org/forums/index.php?/topic/659-information-about-the-elder-galandar-world-or-annakolia/

http://www.annakolia.org/forums/index.php?/topic/661-history-of-galandar-and-annakolia-broad-view/

http://www.annakolia.org/forums/index.php?/topic/630-drow-in-the-realms-of-annakolia/

I just made a brownie bard and played him solo to test solo play.  As long as you keep to the beginning dungeons at first, you willl enjoy some fast leveling into the low double digits.  After that you will need to seek out some harder areas to level. 

Keep in mind, the higher in level you go, the slower the leveling process.

There are over 2000 areas with 5 worlds to explore - this will take time and effort but solo can be great fun.

Some items that are desirable can only be purchased with Role Play Gems - acquired from DMs - usually by DMed games.  These gems are also acquired  through some other activities which will be announced soon.

Thanks for the reply! I still can't find the character creator in the modules. I'll try again shortly. 

This is the handbook I found when searching for the Annakolia Pantheon, perhaps it is out of date.
http://www.annakolia.org/annakol_pic/PlayersHB.pdf

I saw several Forgotten Realms/Faerun deities on that document. Can a DM change the deity listed for my Character, or do I need to create a new one? I really don't want to break any rules. Online NWN is a new thing for me, and I haven't played table top D&D since I was 15. 

Wait, do I need a program to unzip the character creator module? I simply downloaded it and moved it to the modules folder in the NWN directory. Is this what I am doing wrong? Actually, it is the only module currently in the folder, which I also thought was strange. 

Rougeking, thank you! I haven't owned my laptop long, and it has no native unzip program, so thank you for the recommendation. I'm not very computer savvy, so thank you for all of the help. Really, I don't have any experience with any user created content, outside of the Aeilund saga from the workshop. 

I'm looking forward to getting started on such an immersive setting! This sounds like it's exactly what I've been waiting for, a real open world D&D video game. I'm partial to the Forgotten Realms, but that's only because I read a TON of the books, old and new. In 2009 I think I had read all of the forgotten realms books written by both Ed Greenwood and R.A. Salvatore, up to that point of course. I think they've come out with a few since then, but I haven't really read much of any fiction since 2009. NWN coming back to computer, in such a user friendly package, is a serious nostalgia trip for me and great fun as well. 

After exploring the forum a little more, I found the Domain/Deity lists. I didn't realize the Forgotten Realms borrowed Silvanus, but thankfully I'm still safe in my pick and it fits with the theme and story I'm building with my character. I'm a little rusty at this kind of thing, but it should come back to me. 

Thank you all for the help! 

If one is looking at our diety list with Farum/Forgotten Realms glasses - Massive mistakes will be made.

For example:

Tyr is from Norse Mytholgy - not Faerun (I do think Norse Mythology predates Faerun).

Loki is also from Norse mythology - an important point since there actually is no Tyr on Annakolia and Tyr is being presented by some other god.

Tyr on Annakol is said to be one thing but in reality is the god of punishment and torture - and they do not care how or where they get their victims to torture.

Torture and justice are seen as one and the same by Tyr followers and that is how it is presented by the god.

Yes you will find many surprises like this on Annakolia - we are not the Forgotten Realms nor Faerun in any way.

If you see a forgotten Realms god - That god is probably one that is from a real ancient pantheon and thus predates Faerun and the Forgotten Realms by centuries or millennia.

Barry, thank you for the info. I spent several hours reading through the wealth of information on this forum last night. I have a better grasp of what you and others have created now. Actually several of your old introductory posts from 2010, that I assume were from the old forum, helped quite a bit. I have no issues with this server not being a Faerun setup, it's just what I'm used to. I'm looking forward to learning the lore of this world. 

Rogueking, I'm very excited to delve into this new fantasy setting! So far I'm on my third character build, but they are all more or less the same, just had to make some corrections based on the lore and rules of this world. So far my only experience is the castle basement training dummies, but I'm very excited to play a new class that I've never experienced, the Temple Raider. 

I've also been working on my character bio, but I typed it all in the bio at character creation. Now I see that I should have just wrote it on the forum. I'll work on that over time. I'm glad there is an extensive history to pull from. I am sad to see that you dislike monks so much, Barry. A monk does not have to be "Oriental" (I would like to point out that this term is now seen as a pejorative, but I understand that it was a different time over 30 years ago), the Greeks were practicing martial arts as have the people's of Latin America. I might make a monk character that fits into the lore of this world just so you can experience that. Also keep in mind the far east had access to Europe even before the middle ages. I am probably not as well versed in Medieval history as you, but I do know a few things. Living in Europe as a youth for several years has helped, along with some college art history. 

I look forward to getting to know everyone, both IC and I OOC! 

• Upvote 1

Before you make a monk - take a look at the Bane Mountain Monastery - and that is oriental, kung Fu type monks.

Also

The Asian/Oriental world of Tarowa is monk origin friendly.

My take on monks is old and futile since TSR took them out and Wizards of the Coast put them right back in.

I have learned to live with them.

The world of Annakolia is monk friendly.