Barry_1066

DMs - RP - Encounters - and Policy

Barry_1066
Server Owner and Designer
Server Owner and Designer
barry.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: DMs - RP - Encounters - and Policy Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

This Applys to EVERYONE -- NO PERSON is exempt from DM action INCLUDING encounters that cause death.

When a DM is present and running things for players, encounters may be more challenging leading to deaths. I for one believe I have not challenged a party unless someone is capable of death -- meaning that death is certainly a possible reality.

With this in mind, (Total Player Kill) TPK is also a possibility since the balance of character to enemy is a guess and the D&D game system can go many ways based on dice rolls.

Game masters running situations NEVER leave people dead. Standing instructions for DMs is to work an (In Character)IC raise for such situations.

When I play, I enjoy knowing there is Real danger, even encounters I must flee from. This is Classic D&D PnP style. What good or fun is it to always prevail and always hack through the enemy untouched? I could play solo, forge uberness in the toolset for my character and go through anything untouched -- Bah!

As a RP server we can spend an hour eating pies or nearly drowning at a riverside as well as encountering enemies. It is DM presence and interaction that brings NPCs to life and can also surprise us with custom challenges. If there is a TPK, so what? Such an event is just part of the experience of gaming. DMs will work on a fix and all will be well.

Some DMs I have known are adversarial to players engaging in ego PvP type conflict. NO DM will do this on Annakolia. This is against our philosophy of the DM. We DM as facilitators of fun -- sometimes death and TPK are involved as elements of that fun.

Some monsters are very difficult yet appear not to be from CR rating. Giant Frogs are CR 11, yet they killed my lvl 25 sorcerer in one hit while he was fully buffed including epic shields. Sparky1479 was amazed at that since he has tossed many high lvl creatures at my character in Campaign and he has NOT died.

DMs are facilitators of fun.

spacer.gif
Lord Guinness
Player
Player
15582532494605d6c4211f1.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

Wow..well said,barry... i agree with every word of it.there is no challenge in everyone always prevailing.I myself have been guilty of thinking "why wont anyone raise me?" in "rp reality", raising someone during combat would be near-impossible....