Barry_1066

Thoughts of the lost. by Halfling Heaven - HH

Thoughts of the lost.

---The entire village gathered at the shore, each bearing a torch or lantern. As usual, the Temple had laid out a feast of honeyed ham, fresh fruit and vegetables and some of Peony's famous 'ship' shaped cookies. The full moon hung over the still sea, which looked deceptively peaceful on the surface but hid cruel rocks and horrific under-currents. The Gaffer was not well enough to attend, the loss of his son hitting the old man harder than he cared to admit, so Ma Miller addressed the crowd.---

"I am ashamed at myself." she began, " For a while now, I have been thinking that this village has had a tragedy. We have lost, not only our children, but also the life and soul of the village. When did any of you last hear laughter?"
She paused a moment, watching everyones faces. A sea of eyes stared back expecting words of wisdom.
"But I should not be thinking of tragedy." she continued, "I have to cling to the hope that Peony is alive. I refuse to think otherwise. This is how I know that, wherever my little girl is... Somebody is being fed well."
The villagers blinked and started to look at each other.
"If our children are out there somewhere, we all KNOW they will be doing good things and trying to get home."
"Maybe your nippers, but not mine." shouted Da Briarfoot. "I know my girl, and if there is anything she is good at, it is trouble! She's probably the reason they got lost."
"Actually, I think you are wrong. She has a tendency for trouble, yes. But she is also a very resourceful girl. I think, if anyone will keep them OUT of trouble... it will be Nimblefingers. It's a different world out there remember. Who knows what they face." The priestess interjected.

--- As the bickering started, Ma Miller turned to look at the sea. She remembered the look of excitement on Peony's face, the last time she had seen her. Behind her, the villagers argued senselessly. It was odd, but the children seemed to have taken the happiness with them that day. Things hadn't been the same since. This particular argument had cut off Ma Millers attempt at a speech, not that she had actually written a speech. She had tried to restore the happiness, but her words had been confused and timid. Losing control had stopped her making her point... which was... The villages loss can also be seen as the worlds gain. The children would be coming home, with stories and gifts and laughter.---

"Wait for us!" shouted Toms father as he ran toward the group with his wife. Stopping and catching his breath, he puffed, "Have I missed anything? Ooh, cookies!!"

--- Dawn. The mist is drifting in from the still peaceful looking ocean as it laps calmly on Halfling Heavens shore. Hunni Pye walks to the edge and gently drops a bottle into the water. Like a fisherman reeling in his bait, the tide seizes the bottle and pulls it out to sea. As she wanders back to her home before her sisters wake, she gives one last thought for a face she longs to see.---

---As the sun started to go down upon another day, Berri Pye was locking the door to the market hall. Just off the coast, flashes could be seen of a storm raging. Berri paused momentarily to watch the vivid redness of the clouds as they moved across the setting sun, yet only a short distance from that could be seen the electric blue flashes of lightning. She stepped closer to the shore, her attention fixed upon something floating in the water... No, not floating... moving.
Her imagination went wild. Perhaps it was one of the halflings returned from the sea by Saint Marcus. Her feet moved faster than they ever had before as she raced to the shore. Was it Brego? Or Tom maybe. He seemed to be dragging something small... that resembled Violet. Berri's heart was racing as she came to a halt. The figure that greeted her was definately not a halfling. He stood just over six feet tall and was shrouded in a black cloak. One hand was missing, replaced with a hook which was in turn dragging a small dark-haired girl from the water by her dress. He stumbled slightly and tried to drag the girl using his good hand. Berri rushed forward to assist.---

"Run." screamed the child. "He just killed my father."
Berri looked up and drew in her breath as she watched the human raise his hooked hand.
"Ah, now this place feels more like home every time I come here." He said coldly. Berri screamed.

---The road through Halfling Heaven was eerily quiet. No footsteps, no laughter. The table outside the Temple of Marcus was full to the brim with delicious looking treats which had since gone cold and stale. The mist from the river seemed to be thicker than usual and threatened to consume the entire village.
In the distance, the door to the Briarfoot Home swung on one hinge, creaking almost in unison with the branches of the huge oak trees. Slowly, a shuffling noise drifted through the mist as a small halfling in a purple dress ambled down the lane, dragging one leg stiffly. Her face was pale and her eyes.... strangely... lifeless. ---

--- All the halflings huddled together in the Gaffers house. The fear of what roamed the lanes kept any from venturing near the windows. The door had been securely fastened and barrackaded. A quick head count told the villagers that nine were missing in total.

"That Human turned Berri into one of those things." exclaimed Da Briarfoot.
"I told you humans were not to be trusted. I told you, but would you listen?" the gaffer muttered.
"So, who else is missing?" asked Nurse Fleetfoot, ignoring the Gaffer.
"The human took Cherri, Hunni and that human girl into the caves." said Silas Barleywine, "I followed him as far as i dared."
"The zombies invaded the mill. I have not seen the Millers since, so that is 3 more missing." Ma Briarfoot mentioned with anger in her voice.
"Yes, i saw that too. I haven't seen Tom Barleywine either." stated Maid millicent.
"Tom fell under the zombies. I was too scared to stop running." His twin brother, Sam, explained.
"That leaves two more unaccounted for. Who else is missing?" Nurse fleetfoot asked, trying to keep track of the entire village. Everyone looked around. The briarfoots were here, as were the Fleetfoots. The barleywines were either here or accounted for, and the milers were presumed dead. The Brewers stood by the dining area laying the table, so they were safe. Who else was missing?
"The Fletchers!" the room said all at once.
"Maybe they are safe in the woods. The zombies might not enter there." Nurse fleetfoot tried to add a calming thought.
"Let us hope you are right. I knew I should not have trusted those humans." snapped the gaffer, amidst coughs.

A list of the many halflings that lost their lives during this undead onslaught has been made. It is regrettable that these lives were lost, and their memories will always be part of Halfling Heaven.

Ma and Da Shacklefoot.
Mister Gardener.
Missy Tanglefoot
Farmer & Goodwife Stoutly
Master Goodfellow
Ma, Da and Granma Pye
Miss Lutesong
and finally Pendro the Pixie-Herder. (don't ask.)

Also still missing and presumed dead are Sandy Fleetfoot and Brego Taleweaver. Gone, but not forgotten.

Trubbel looked at his ruined hat. Earlier in the day, Violet had decided it would be amusing to turn herself into a bear and eat the hat... but Trubbel had not found it so amusing.

Looking at the chewed remains, Trubbel felt a tear trickle down his cheek. His da had worn that hat the day the undead invaded the village, so it had particular sentimental value.

As he stared out across the orchard, a stubborn malice seemed to invade his heart.
"How dare they ruin my property!" he thought.
"How dare they destroy the one memory of my Da that remains."

In Trubbels confused mind, he blamed not only Violet. Instead he saw all of his so-called friends to be guilty of alienating him from his own village. The constant bullying HAD to stop!
Absently his hand reached into his pocket and withdrew an engagement ring. With a sudden burst of anger, Trubbel hurled the ring out into the orchard.

"You want war? You shall have it. No more Mister 'Nice' Shacklefoot." he cursed. "The wedding is off!"

http://jubilatores.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102