Barry_1066

Experience Points on Realms of Annakolia

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Experience_point

Realms of Annakolia used the base XP tables provided by Bioware - nothing is modified in any way - Cave Bats have raised CR to help new or low level players easily level to the double digits.

Quoting from the NWN Wiki:

Experience points (XP) are an abstract measure of the experience, knowledge, and training that a player character (PC) gains while adventuring. They are usually gained from defeating monsters and completing quests, with some modules also granting experience for various other achievements, such as using skills or exploring new areas. Experience points themselves do not directly affect gameplay* but are instead the sole factor that determines when character levels can be taken. It takes 1,000 XP times a PC's current level to reach the next level; see level progression for a table.

*In a few cases, some details of gameplay depend on earned levels, rather than taken levels. In this sense, experience points can directly affect gameplay, but only to the extent that they determine character level.

Monster formula yH5BAEAAAEALAAAAAABAAEAQAICTAEAOw%3D%3DEdit

The formula used for monster XP awards is, according to BioWare, quite complicated, and though based on the Dungeons & Dragons system, it takes into consideration many factors. The major factors are that tougher (higher challenge rating) monsters are worth more XP, tougher (higher level) PCs receive less XP (unless effective character level alters this), and larger parties (including associates) receive less XP per PC.[1] Some of this information is retrieved by the engine from the data files xptable.2da, racialtypes.2da, classes.2da and xpbaseconst.2da.

Playtesting has revealed that the formula for the standard XP awarded for killing creatures appears to be

(base XP * XP scale) * (multiclass penalty * party size penalty)

rounded down to an integer, where

• the base XP is retrieved from xptable.2da — with the row being the PC's earned character level (which may be more than the levels actually taken) and the column being the enemy's challenge rating;
  • the XP scale is multiplied by 10 then treated as a percentage (so "10" means "100%");
  • the multiclass penalty is expressed as 100%, 80%, or 60% (rather than as the amount lost); and
  • the party size penalty is 4 / (3 + party size).

The first two factors are controlled by the module builder, while the latter two are under the control of players. In the original campaign the challenge rating is further modified by a bonus from the effective character level.

Example: An elven druid 5 / sorcerer 1 has two henchmen, a familiar, an animal companion, a summoned creature, and a dominated creature. This character now suffers an 80% multiclass penalty and a 4/10 party size penalty and will only gain 0.8 * 0.4 = 32% of the module's base XP for kills.

XP adjustments for party size and multiclass penalty
Party size no penalty 20% penalty 40% penalty
1 100% 80% 60%
2 80% 64% 48%
3 67% 53% 40%
4 57% 46% 34%
5 50% 40% 30%
6 44% 36% 27%
7 40% 32% 24%
8 36% 29% 22%
9 33% 27% 20%
10 31% 25% 18%

I also found this article useful in explaining why one of my characters got much more XP then some others:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/188666-neverwinter-nights/48287197

XPs and Effective Character Level (ECL)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Neverwinter Nights
  3. XPs and Effective Character Level (ECL)
Jeabo 9 years ago#1

I've often wondered why some of my characters earn more experience points (XPs) than others when killing the same monsters, thereby leveling up faster. This has been especially noticeable to me at levels 4, 5, 6, and 7 in the OC. Then, just recently, I "discovered" the Effective Character Level (ECL) table in wiki (http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Effective_character_level). This answered most of my questions.

But I also realized that the knowledge in the table could be exploited. I decided to build a (playable) character with the lowest ECL possible and see how many XPs I could (legitimately) rack up.... It worked!!....I don't think I've ever finished the OC before with more than about 170k XPs (lvl 18). In this game I ended up with 226k points (lvl 21)......Of course the down side was that I ended up with a lousy build, a Rogue/Monk/Cleric 11/5/5. Playable, but certainly not the most efficient character around.
(I played solo, no henchmen, no summons. Diamond edition, 1.69)

Observations, Questions, Anomalies
1) In the academy a goblin is worth 20 xps at ECL 1, 42 xps at ECL 2, and 17 xps at ECL 3. (Clearly exploitable).

2) When you level-up but keep the same ECL, experience earned actually goes up!
e.g....I was level lvl 12 (ECL 7) earning 77xps for killing a troll. I leveled to 13 (still ECL 7) and started getting 84xps for a troll. At lvl 14 (still ECL 7) I was getting 91xps for trolls.
I've noticed this in other games at lower levels and wondered about it. Now I know WHEN it happens, but I still don't know WHY.

3) ECL is a large factor in determining the number and type of non-boss enemies.
e.g....At the cave entrance to Wanev's Tower I usually find a batch of white wolves. In this game (lvl 14 ECL 7) there were only 2 gargoyles. Later, in the hallway where there are usually 8 mephits, there were only 4. This (i.e less/lesser enemies) was especially noticeable from lvls 13 through 18. At level 19, ECL 14, the number/type of enemies seemed to go back to normal.
(In the Beggars Nest graveyard some of my characters find only zombies and weak zombies. Other characters also find warrior zombies. I now assume that this is somehow connected to ECL).

4) My (lousy) character did not have too much trouble with "boss" fights. This could be attributable to a) My character fighting at a higher than normal level with better than normal equipment, or b) The bosses being "dumbed down" because of ECL.......Probably a combination of both.

5a) Most people are aware that there are "jumps" in the quality of random loot. These occur at levels 6, 9, 11, 14, and 17. (None at 20).
5b) Due to the rotten random loot intended for Clerics and Monks I found during this game, it's obvious to me that there are also "jumps" in the quality of "class only" random loot. However, I don't know at what class levels these occur at. ......... Does anyone?.....
5c) In general, a major advantage of receiving more xps and therefore leveling up quicker, is finding better random loot earlier, making the game (i.e. fighting) a bit easier. (It was nice finding the Boots of Speed in Helms Hold shortly after making lvl 11).

6) The ECL table could be useful in determining when to multiclass or to decide which class to level-up in.
If you can't put it in figures, it's not fact, just mere opinion. - Laz Long

ChaosArbiter 9 years ago#2
I've often wondered why some of my characters earn more experience points (XPs) than others when killing the same monsters

IIRC, in general, Fighter-class characters receive less XP (particularly at lower levels) than non-fighter-class characters, and higher-level characters will (almost always) gain less experience from any given encounter than a lower-level character.

6) The ECL table could be useful in determining when to multiclass or to decide which class to level-up in.

Again, in general, abilities and skills are better reasons to multiclass (into a particular class or at a particular level) than XP - it's better to have a synergistic multiclass than one that lets you gain more levels.
He's got jaws like a saber-tithed tooger. Soober-toothed teegar. The goddamned growly things with the fangs.
~ Garret, Bitter Gold Hearts

Jeabo 9 years ago#3
Chaos wrote:
"IIRC, in general, Fighter-class characters receive less XP (particularly at lower levels) than non-fighter-class characters, and higher-level characters will (almost always) gain less experience from any given encounter than a lower-level character."

Exactly my point. Fighter-class characters receive less xp BECAUSE their ECL is higher at lower levels.

But, a higher-level character COULD gain more xp than a lower-level character IF his ECL were lower.
Example:....A lvl 16 Monk/Rogue 12/4 will gain more xp than a lvl 15 Monk/Rogue 7/8 DUE to his lower ECL (i.e. 14 vs 15)

happyscrub1 9 years ago#4
are your test run with no summoned creatures or henchmen?

Cancer kills, who wants Champagne!!! *pops cork* =D

Jeabo 9 years ago#5
Yes. (No henchmen, no summoned creatures).

When Realms of Annakolia first started the experience meter setting for the module was set to 7%

I should say - that experience meter is 1 - 100 %

At one point, many years ago - certain DMs (mostly one) argued for lowering the XP meter to 5%  - This was done.

The experience was never stopped or caped but it was very hard to near impossible to get more than 300 XP - although it did happen, the events were very rare.

I have rasied the XP meter, doubling it from 5% to 10% - we have experimented with this for a week and feel the balance is good.

Realms of Annakolia is a slow progression server - not awarding huge amounts of xp for kills.  There are many reasons for this but the most important is that we do not want to see high level characters made in a week or two - not in a month - it should take some time and investment and exploring.