Barry_1066

Alignment on Annakolia and D&D

Below - Content from the OLD Annakolia Forum - This critical information is being reposted for ease of finding and make sure everyone is reminded of these points.

I went to find this and quote it and seems it was pruned sometime or other. I consider this material important and all need to read it. Shocked

Quote from the Dungeon Master's Guide 1.0 edition page 23 - 24 (the edition this world uses for such information)

Neutral Evil:

Similar to the neutral good alignment, that of neutral evil holds that neither groups nor individuals have great meaning. This ethos holds that seeking to promote weal for all actually brings woe to the truly deserving. Natural forces which are meant to cull out the weak and stupid are artificially suppressed by so-called good, and the fittest are wrongfully held back, so whatever means are expedient can be used by the powerful to gain and maintain their dominance, without concern for anything.

Please note the key phrases --

Whatever means are expedient

Maintain their dominance, without concern for ANYTHING.

This does not fit a social character who i would play with -- ever.

Lawful Evil:

Obviously, all order is not good, nor are all laws beneficial. Lawful evil creatures consider order as the means by which each group is properly placed in the cosmos, from lowest to highest, strongest first, weakest last. Good is seen as an excuse to promote the mediocrity of the whole and suppress the better and more capable, while lawful evilness allows each group to structure itself and fix its place as compared to others, serving the stronger but being served by the weaker.

Chaotic Evil:

The chaotic evil creature holds that individual freedom and choice is important and that other individuals and their freedoms are unimportant if they cannot be held by the individuals through their own strength and merit. Thus, law and order tends to promote not individuals but groups, and groups suppress individual volition and success.

Note –

Lawful Evil does not uphold or strive to follow society’s laws at all. LE strives to follow the law of the cosmos in the strength of each group and structuring an evil society based on that.

Note –

Chaotic Evil is pure selfish and cares nothing for anyone but themselves. They value strength and the more they can get, the better.

None of these three alignment viewpoints, if followed and properly played, are workable for a PC. All DM sessions I run are involved with helping others or saving someone or cooperating in a group.

Neutral:

Absolute, or true, neutral creatures view everything with exists as an integral, necessary part or function of the entire cosmos. Each thing exists as a part of the whole, one as a check or balance to the other, with life necessary for death, happiness for suffering good for evil, order for chaos, and vice versa. Nothing must ever become predominate or out of balance. Within this naturalistic ethos, humankind serves a role also, just as all other creatures do. They may be more or less important, but the neutral does not concern himself or herself with those considerations except where it is positively determined that the balance is threatened. Absolute neutrality is in the central or fulcrum position quite logically, as the neutral sees all other alignments as parts of a necessary whole. This alignment is the narrowest in scope.

Neutral Good:

Creatures of this alignment see the cosmos as a place where law and chaos are merely tools to use in bringing life, happiness, and prosperity to all deserving creatures. Order is not good unless it brings this all; neither is randomness and total freedom desirable if it does not bring such good.

Neutral Evil:

Similar to the neutral good alignment, that of neutral evil holds that neither groups nor individuals have great meaning. This ethos holds that seeking to promote weal for all actually brings woe to the truly deserving. Natural forces which are meant to cull out the weak and stupid are artificially suppressed by so-called good, and the fittest are wrongfully held back, so whatever means are expedient can be used by the powerful to gain and maintain their dominance, without concern for anything.

Lawful Good:

Creatures of lawful good alignment view the cosmos with varying degrees of lawfulness or desire for good. They are convinced that order and law are absolutely necessary to assure good, and that good is best defined as whatever brings the most benefit to the greater number of decent, thinking creatures and the least woe to the rest.

Lawful Neutral:

It is the view of the alignment that law and order give purpose and meaning to everything. Without regimentation and strict definition, there would be no purpose in the cosmos. Therefore, whether a law is good or evil is of no import as long as it brings order and meaning.

Lawful Evil:

Obviously, all order is not good, nor are all laws beneficial. Lawful evil creatures consider order as the means by which each group is properly placed in the cosmos, from lowest to highest, strongest first, weakest last. Good is seen as an excuse to promote the mediocrity of the whole and suppress the better and more capable, while lawful evilness allows each group to structure itself and fix its place as compared to others, serving the stronger but being served by the weaker.

Chaotic Good:

To the chaotic good individual, freedom and independence are as important to life and happiness. The ethos views this freedom as the only means by which each creature can achieve true satisfaction and happiness, law, order, social forms, and anything else which tends to restrict or abridge individual freedom is wrong, and each individual is capable of achieving self-realization and prosperity through himself, herself, or itself.

Chaotic Neutral:

This view of the cosmos holds that absolute freedom is necessary. Whether the individual exercising such freedom chooses to do good or evil is of no concern. After all, life itself is law and order, so death is a desirable end. Therefore, life can only be justified as a tool by which order is combated and in the end it too will pass into entropy.

Chaotic Evil:

The chaotic evil creature holds that individual freedom and choice is important and that other individuals and their freedoms are unimportant if they cannot be held by the individuals through their own strength and merit. Thus, law and order tends to promote not individuals but groups, and groups suppress individual volition and success.

Law And Chaos:

The opposition here is between organized groups and individuals. That is, law dictates that order and organization is necessary and desirable, while chaos holds to the opposite view, Law generally supports the group as more important then the individual, while chaos promotes the individual over the group.

I do not accept ANY other source or discussion on the nature of allignment but version 1.0 DMG.

There are many opinions running around on how to play and how to define alignment. For this server, THERE IS ONLY ONE -- Dum Dum Dum *dark serious music*

I do not argue the point. I will not listen to another view. It is version 1.0 DMG and that is all.

With so many opposing opinions out there if I let people pick and choose there is no assurity that I know what is going on. Since I want alignments played with the 1.0 DMG understanding, that is a clear guide and statement. No other

Greatest of all is he called Cthulhu. Only in Ancient, blasphemous manuscripts can that name be found...and those who decipher it are left pale and numb ---

Last edited by Barry_1066 on Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:24 pm; edited 4 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Halfling Heaven

World Designer/DM/Player

World Designer/DM/Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

I agree with the above post, and understand that it is not up for debate.

However, I would just like to point out that (logically and IMO) a Lawful Evil character 'could' follow the laws of society but 'if' they did, would most likely twist them to their own means.

For example.... A Lawyer who has seen a loop-hole in the law and utilises it to make a lot of money, regardless of how it effects other people.

Or a murderer who has learned that he is allowed to kill someone if they enter his property without his permission, so he leaves the door open and waits for people to wander in.

As Barry has stated however, these are not really characters who I would like to group with.

-----------------------------------------

Time flys like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.