Feather

Goodbye Ceara

I had to say a final good bye to my best friend last week. We went over to Vancouver Island for what I hoped was a routine vet visit. "Here's some pills and she'll be better soon". Instead she pushed her nose into my hand one last time and said "Time to go, Mum". By 5:00 she'd crashed and it was clear that whatever was wrong, she was not going to recover. When the pain meds started to wear off every 5 min. I knew I had to let her go. One of the easiest decisions I've ever made, and yet, the hardest.

I've lost my confident, my therapy dog, my working partner, my constant companion. When people express sadness for me at the loss of my 'pet' I thank them and take the comfort they offer even while they have no idea at the depth of my loss. She was a happy, brave-spirited, and generous friend. She lived life to the fullest right to the end and I'll miss her forever.

F.

I am always at a loss for words with the loss of a loved one. Just because the one departing is not human does not mean the attachment and grief is less -- studies have shown it is the same as loosing a close family member.

I still grieve for two dogs who were as close as family members - one as close as Ceara was to you Feather leaves that huge area suddenly empty.

I have lost two parents, a child, some number of close cats and dogs and some friends, including one friend this week.

You are not alone - even though we only talk through the Internet, you are my friend and not alone.