Sol Arbriel

Dungeons & Dragons: Neverwinter

nnologo.png

Monday, 23 August 2010

Atari and Cryptic Studios Announce Neverwinter Coming in 2011 for PC

Storyline for new Co-op Roleplaying Game Inspired by R.A. Salvatore’s Upcoming Book Trilogy.

Los Angeles, CA (August 23, 2010) -- Atari, one of the world's most recognized videogame publishers and Cryptic Studios, the acclaimed developers behind City of Heroes, City of Villains, Champions Online and Star Trek Online, announced today the development of Neverwinter for PC. Neverwinter is a new online roleplaying game based on Wizards of the Coast’s global property Dungeons & Dragons and the beloved city of Neverwinter.

Once a bustling location, Neverwinter has faced a great many disasters in the past hundred years. Rule of the city remains unclear following the unfortunate demise of the last Lord of Neverwinter and factions still battle for dominance after the all-consuming Spellplague took a high toll on the population. Even Neverwinter’s dead are beginning to rise from their graves and march upon the city they once called home.

“We're beyond thrilled to develop a brand new version of Neverwinter. It's been years since the original became a gaming icon and we’re honored to work with such a great franchise," said Jack Emmert, COO of Cryptic Studios. "We've been working closely with Wizards of the Coast and R.A. Salvatore to create an authentic D&D adventure filled with compelling fiction and exciting gameplay."

In Neverwinter, players choose to become one of five classic D&D classes and team up with friends or computer-controlled allies to form five-person co-op groups. Players also create their own storylines and quests utilizing an extremely user-friendly content generation system, tentatively codenamed Forge.

“Wizards of the Coast is excited to invite millions of fans back to Neverwinter with the launch of R.A. Salvatore’s Gauntlgrym,” said Liz Schuh, Brand Director for Dungeons & Dragons at Wizards of the Coast. “And we’re excited about the prospects for great digital gaming experiences based on this epic world.”

Neverwinter for PC is scheduled to release in Q4 2011 and is part of a multi-platform event, including a book trilogy from New York Times best-selling author R. A. Salvatore and a tabletop roleplaying game from Wizards of the Coast. Book one in Salvatore’s Neverwinter trilogy, titled Gauntlgrym, releases on October 5 of this year and lays the groundwork for the Neverwinter storyline. The novel previews the settings, characters and monsters from the PC game and details the events that lead up to this highly anticipated PC gaming experience.

To learn more about the game, please visit: www.PlayNeverwinter.com.

Thank you for sharing the news, Sol. I discovered a post on the IGN boards about the new NWN a month ago. From the discussion, fans of the old NWN do not hold much hope for the new NWN.

This all sounds good, but from my previous experience, Cryptic will fail to deliver something actually worthy of the license it has acquired.

That about sums up the vast majority of the posts in this discussion.

I don't know about you guys but I'm excited about the new game. I mean it’s taking place in the Forgotten Realms after the plague, in one of the coolest parts of the realm. It’s using the new rule set which is fun and exciting. The developers are trying to create a new genre of game that nobody’s doing yet and they have a number of people in that California office that have played or are still playing NWN.

Hey when I was playing AOL’s Neverwinter Nights online a lot of people didn’t think NWN would be any good. Those guys at IGN are just being nitpicky and frankly don’t know what they are talking about. #1 D&D has not gone downhill since 4th edition, in fact it has grown. #2 Cryptic Studios has in fact done a good job on their past projects. I’m one of the first guys to yell at someone for labeling fallout like games or any crpg that doesn’t allow you to role-play an RPG, but to assume this early on that this will be a bad product is unfair.

Will this be NWN? No…Will this be a D&D tabletop substitute? No…What will it be? A new experience to play something brand new.