Anna

Complaint about encounter Difficulties near Annakol

My main character right now is Sari Brightleaf, 8th level, rogue/wizard 4/4. I have asked DM Malishara where to go now, and had two places suggested, the Bree Caves, and the Caves of Chaos. Unfortunately, very high level monsters are spawning on the way to both, and too close to even flee.

1. On the way to Bree, in Daylight on the road, 12 forest trolls swarmed me, instakill.

2. On the way to the Caves of Chaos this evening, a fire giant cleric pops up, swings twice, instakill.

"Well Anna, you need to party up" I would dearly love to do so, but for two reasons:

a. Often times lately there are few players,

b. and when there are others on, they all are playing in the 22-35 level range, which negates partying.

According to my notes, I am now down 14,800 xp's from dying with Sari. Some of that is legit, from me wanting to find an elven town to vist, and dying while seeing the world. But much of it is from things spawning in what I have been told are low level areas, or deadly to epic traps in low level dungeons.

I do not mind dying in a good fight, or when I do so when trying to learn more of Annakolia the hard way. But high level spawns and traps in low areas I feel are unjust and ruin the fun, and I ask for this to be examined, discussed, and possible remedies.

Thanks, Anna

We're working on it, thanks for your feedback. We really need feedback on things like this to be able to improve the world for everyone's enjoyment. Thing will not change instantly, but without knowing there is a problem it is impossible to even consider ways to improve it.

So thank you for your feedback.

I have had a number of the same issues, I have Zeff, a level 8 rogue/wizard build slanted towards future arcane archer, and Katya, a level 7 ranger. In both cases, it's been a question of trying to find people to party with, then when I cannot, figuring out where to play solo and have some fun besides the Sidonia dungeon, which while fun does get repetitive and not much in returns after level 7.

One suggestion I might have if any dm's have time would be some new low level starting campaigns? I would love a rogue style group, as the guild is already in Annakol city, and seems to have contacts elsewhere. Another would be an elven group, as part of the reason I fell in love with Annakolia was the tour that Barry gave me, and we stopped at an elven city, it's so incredibly beautiful.

I get that wilderness often is deadly, I just hope that maybe to a degree that the CR would increase as you get away from towns, reflecting some efforts by cities/towns/rangers to patrol. Places where you're really off the beaten path, or known 'enemy territory', sure, a character best be ready for anything.

Lastly, some common knowledge advice or guidance on simply 'where to go, or not go', not revealing big secrets, but just what regular people would know, as far as local dungeons ,nearby towns, maybe general rumor or legend?

When it comes to partying with other players and those that are online at the same time as you and are epic chars it does not hurt to ask in a tell if they would like to play with you. I for one do have several low level chars ready with my newest addition being Tishara Drenara a female paladin/cleric 4/3 (7) and when I happen to be soloing I am more than happy to relog with a more level compliant character and play with you.

On the subject of no players around, this is not necessarily true as I find that when I log on and no one else is around I do find that on average within 10 minutes or so other players start to appear. It is worth logging on even when it seems no one else is around and wait a while as plenty of other players do tend to just take a peek and see no one else is on and assume nothing is happening then go do something else. Yes it is true that NWN no longer attracts the huge numbers it once did, it is an old game now and die hard gamers do what they will always do, move onto the newest and more visually stimulating games as they come out. I am not suggesting this is a bad thing either. You are more likely now to find those that play in RoA had or still have some connection to the tabletop version of Dungeon's & Dragons, which NWN is based upon or are related in some way to someone that does.

Also with that don't be disappointed if they happen to be in a game with another player, in fact if they happen to be in a party and nearby in an area that you know how to get to I certainly go and 'gate crash' it, seriously it is unlikely you'll ruin anyone's fun by doing so, but will certainly add to the enjoyment.

For example your ranger char might be in the area, notices some tracks and follows that leading to the party members under the premise your ranger is mapping the area for the first time.

About epic spawns in low level areas, a mention of a fire giant cleric spawning in the Bane Mountains Foothills, which I think is what is meant being on the way to the Caves of Chaos is unusual, not to say it did not happen, only that it is rare in my experience. The fire giant cleric certainly does spawn at times in the Bane Mountains North along with worse, such as Polymetheus (sic) with his huge scythe. Being 14,800 xp down due to this makes me wonder if the fire giant cleric is spawning each and every time you enter the area?

As a player you are not expected to fight everything you come across, it is acceptable to run away or for paladins to make a tactical retreat. There is no dishonor or cowardice in retreating to fight another day if your paladin adheres the 'code'. There are times when it is impossible to run away (tactical retreats) be it due to internet connection issues or lag spikes, which is a current problem at this time until Barry finds the time to install the new router his end. At least that is what I am attributing the lag spikes to at this time. Also spellcasters, the fire giant cleric definitely is can paralyse a character making it impossible to run away. That is a class feature.

Can you clarify what you mean by the road to Bree, I assume you mean the Greenway South? You don't have to travel via the Greenway South to get to Bree, the safest and most popular is via the Forest Center, Forest North and Hobbit Farms. To have 12 forest trolls descend upon you in daylight is another unusual encounter, yes at night but never so many and not one I have experienced in the Forest Center. Possibly along the Greenway South, but my memory is vague.

I hope that helps.

For me, the lag causes creatures to spawn on top of me, and often score a one shot kill without a chance to flee. I think some of Anna's other misfortune is from people not killing their own spawns after going through, something that happens on any world.

As for Forest trolls, I too have ran into them in daylight in the safe forest center, though only 2-4, never the 12 that anna found with Sari. As for her xp loss, she told me that's total from all deaths, not just that giant, but from trying to just explore too some.

I think it's a matter of paying the dues to sing the blues, that once you reach level 10 or so with the right build maybe things even out?

All,

Just wanted to echo what Sol had suggested. to wit...send a tell if there are higher level characters on and see if they want to play a lower level. I know that when I am soloing...it often will be with a higher level character for all the reasons listed in previous posts. So I play the higher levels so I can explore without dying too often. But if you send me a tell....I have plenty of lower level characters that need a party to play and I imagine some of the others would too. Good luck.

Boosieve

When it comes to partying with other players and those that are online at the same time as you and are epic chars it does not hurt to ask in a tell if they would like to play with you. I for one do have several low level chars ready with my newest addition being Tishara Drenara a female paladin/cleric 4/3 (7) and when I happen to be soloing I am more than happy to relog with a more level compliant character and play with you.

On the subject of no players around, this is not necessarily true as I find that when I log on and no one else is around I do find that on average within 10 minutes or so other players start to appear. It is worth logging on even when it seems no one else is around and wait a while as plenty of other players do tend to just take a peek and see no one else is on and assume nothing is happening then go do something else. Yes it is true that NWN no longer attracts the huge numbers it once did, it is an old game now and die hard gamers do what they will always do, move onto the newest and more visually stimulating games as they come out. I am not suggesting this is a bad thing either. You are more likely now to find those that play in RoA had or still have some connection to the tabletop version of Dungeon's & Dragons, which NWN is based upon or are related in some way to someone that does.

Also with that don't be disappointed if they happen to be in a game with another player, in fact if they happen to be in a party and nearby in an area that you know how to get to I certainly go and 'gate crash' it, seriously it is unlikely you'll ruin anyone's fun by doing so, but will certainly add to the enjoyment.

For example your ranger char might be in the area, notices some tracks and follows that leading to the party members under the premise your ranger is mapping the area for the first time.

About epic spawns in low level areas, a mention of a fire giant cleric spawning in the Bane Mountains Foothills, which I think is what is meant being on the way to the Caves of Chaos is unusual, not to say it did not happen, only that it is rare in my experience. The fire giant cleric certainly does spawn at times in the Bane Mountains North along with worse, such as Polymetheus (sic) with his huge scythe. Being 14,800 xp down due to this makes me wonder if the fire giant cleric is spawning each and every time you enter the area?

As a player you are not expected to fight everything you come across, it is acceptable to run away or for paladins to make a tactical retreat. There is no dishonor or cowardice in retreating to fight another day if your paladin adheres the 'code'. There are times when it is impossible to run away (tactical retreats) be it due to internet connection issues or lag spikes, which is a current problem at this time until Barry finds the time to install the new router his end. At least that is what I am attributing the lag spikes to at this time. Also spellcasters, the fire giant cleric definitely is can paralyse a character making it impossible to run away. That is a class feature.

Can you clarify what you mean by the road to Bree, I assume you mean the Greenway South? You don't have to travel via the Greenway South to get to Bree, the safest and most popular is via the Forest Center, Forest North and Hobbit Farms. To have 12 forest trolls descend upon you in daylight is another unusual encounter, yes at night but never so many and not one I have experienced in the Forest Center. Possibly along the Greenway South, but my memory is vague.

I hope that helps.

Barry is working on adjusting the spawn difficulty in the areas near Annakol City. Each area has a spawn table, these have to be adjusted. It requires work on his part. He is working as fast as he can given his other responsibilities

Anna & Kaitlinn, thank you for the feedback. Sol & Boosieve, thank you for offering your experience and suggestions. Working together we can make RoA even better.

I was in the Bree Crypt, with Sari, level 10, rogue wizard 6/4. I was fighting Mummies, greater mummies, doom knights, a good fun challenge, then hello, brown back drider, +53 to hit, dead Sari.

Yes, I was solo, but I don't think a party of five, balanced, of level 10-14 characters could face that. And something like that, seeming like most driders, you have no idea they are epic. Sari has +19 to hit, and rolled a 19, so the drider must have an AC of 39+.

Are these epic spawns random, where they just appear suddenly, or set piece? I've talked to other players, who don't seem to run into the things that I do as much, at the same level. I can try screen shots? If I know that "Oh, the Bree Cave is the Brown back Drider lair, so don't go there", then I would not, if things like this are boss encounters.

I've also noticed, as a general rule, that if a dungeon has multiple levels, while the upper levels may be set for high single-digit or teen levels, the lower you go the higher level the spawns. If I recall, the brown back drider is on the third level of the Bree Crypt.

I'd also like to echo Sol and Boosieve's comment about sending a tell to other apparently soloing players regarding forming a group. Don't be shy to ask anyone, especially since you normally can't see the player's name until AFTER a conversation has been started, or a group formed.

Thank you Barry for taking the time to adjust the spawn tables. I must admit the training rooms and dungeon beneath Sidonia's can get boring and ho-hum after several dozen times. :D

I greatly appreciate the efforts of Barry and Malishara here, and the thoughtful comments of everyone else. I'm not trying to just vent and complain, but indeed improve things for myself and other potential new players, as what to do after level 7 or so outside of scheduled group events is a concern.

People have been inviting me to join them in things, I greatly appreciate that. I also know though from playing playing my old epics on my old server that sometimes it's fun to play them, and if 4 are on playing epics, it's not fair to ask everyone to switch because I am relatively new.

So, for those times, or the times when no one or few others are on, I am trying to establish for myself and others just what the best course is for having fun then as well, and not to get splattered . Dying is fine, if on roughly even terms, or if I wander into the wrong area willingly, pushing Sari or Da'aaga, my pixie bard's limits. I kind of like dying then, because it means there's a challenge. Fighting something for 5, ten rounds, then losing is fun, you can try to plan how to improve, take it another time, with new tactics.

Getting one shotted, instakilled, by a wandering monster or epic unseen trap is rougher. Then for Sari all the travel time, and 500 xp's are gone, and it feels pointless.

It's the CR 25+ things as previously discussed that get disheartening, and steps are being taken to see they they are not in 'lower' areas, greatly appreciated.

On the party issue, with some of the previous random spawns, I do not think a party of 4-6 characters would fare much grander than Sari, as something with +45 or better to hit, AC of 40+, and dealing base damage of 30 per hit would simply result in a total party kill, rather than just Sari. Add in abilities like finger of Death, and it grows more difficult, unless someone has the cleric with death ward to buff everyone.