Tala

New character poll

MTS' new character  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What should MTS' low-level alt be?

• The Drow
    • The Holy Warrior
    • Something Else

Ok, so I need to make a new character to take part in groups with lower level characters. Phoebe wound up being a little to dark (and kinda a b-word) to work in groups. I let character kind of shape their own personalities, while I play them, and at this point I think she makes a good villian/antogonist, not a friend.

I made the mistake of power-leveling Tala, and a lot of the people I am on with, cannot survive some of the spawns my level creates (I can't always either). Not to mention she is slowly become bitter and starting to hate cities (and a lot of people because she thinks they are not vigilant in the fight against evil - this was started by an incident in the Fiesty Chicken where she was not allowed to outright slay someone who made a device that ripped souls out of people - DMs - if you want to hit me with a few points of chaos, I will understand.

So I wanted to make a new one specifically for role-play and groups.

Note, these first two require DM approval (I am sure) so I would love to hear feedback/thoughts from them on this issue.

I have created polls on lots of forums in the past, and I live with the mantra that votes are good, discussion/feedback is good, votes paired with discussion/feedback is perfect.

Now onto the explanation of each character:

1) The Drow - I love the Underdark adventure on the server, and replay it often. I think what I like most about it is the NPC feedback I can get int he absence of other players and DMs.

You can get a drow NPC to join you during this (yes I role-play with her even though she does not talk to me). Now, Tala replays it, and my IC justification is the NPC is her friend, who keeps getting captured. She has to go rescue her again.

I was thinking of making a 'sister' character to that NPC (making her would be odd to say the least, since others can recruit her and all). Tala had joked about sneaking a helm of alignment change onto her, so what if Tala did just that? (DMs - again feel free to hit me with a few points of chaos for it) The massive alignment change somehow dropped her to level one, so she had to start over training-wise (weak IC justification, but it works in my opinion). I would make her a fighter-mage and probably make her a bladesinger, with Chaotic Good for the alignment.

2) The Holy Warrior - For those of you who have been to hell, there is a statue of a female warrior near the entrance. I tried to use a scroll of flesh to stone on her (then noticed fighters cannot use those - heh), so I left, went and got the flower that does it - and figured out you cannot affect her. I actually role-played Tala dragging her out (used the dice item to make strength and constitution checks no less).

I was thinking of having her be from say... 100 years int he past of Annakolia. With the help of Jania (or more likely the temple of Tyr given the path I am going with for this character) to restore her to flesh. She would have to retrain, since she spent so long in stone form.

I am debating between paladin (with quite a few of the nifty prestige classes here), or a fighter/priest (with one of the holy-ish prestige classes). I would probably make her Lawful Good.

Now, since the statue would not vanish from the entrance of hell, I would probably make that a "second" statue (story wise), that is too deeply rooted int he rocks to be removed without destroying it (this also means the Mods/DMs do not have to re-design the area to fit my story). If nothing else, this would be a neat driving goal for the character.

3) Something Else - I am in a bit of a creative slump, so this is where people get to suggest character ideas to me! This poll should make the first part of the previous sentence obvious.

Now, Mods/DMs - If you do not like choice one and/or choice two, feel free to veto them and we will remove them as an option.

Hello, in the past we have asked players to refrain from making new characters of relation to existing characters as the two characters can not possibly be played at the same time. As that would require meta-gaming or DM participation for them to exist at the same time in the same place. However, I know things have changed on the server, so I am not 100% sure if this still stands. [That means not only family relations, but also includes, friendships and 'saviors' etc]

However, after saying that, having family on RoA adds to the dynamic of RP. It also ads to the growth of character development. However, it is best done with another player. Sometimes those characters can be the most fun, as in real life, your family, love them or hate them, is a large contributor to your personality.

If I may suggest, allow your game time on the server to provide a great adventure. There is no need to have a ... spectacular history that only your character knows about. There is nothing wrong with a rather plain or boring past. It's what your character becomes while you play her that makes the game stimulating and satisfying... IMHO.

I realize this does not answer your question and I am sorry, but I hope this may give you some ideas.

Sincerely,

Athena

Hello, in the past we have asked players to refrain from making new characters of relation to existing characters as the two characters can not possibly be played at the same time. As that would require meta-gaming or DM participation for them to exist at the same time in the same place. However, I know things have changed on the server, so I am not 100% sure if this still stands. [That means not only family relations, but also includes, friendships and 'saviors' etc]

However, after saying that, having family on RoA adds to the dynamic of RP. It also ads to the growth of character development. However, it is best done with another player. Sometimes those characters can be the most fun, as in real life, your family, love them or hate them, is a large contributor to your personality.

If I may suggest, allow your game time on the server to provide a great adventure. There is no need to have a ... spectacular history that only your character knows about. There is nothing wrong with a rather plain or boring past. It's what your character becomes while you play her that makes the game stimulating and satisfying... IMHO.

I realize this does not answer your question and I am sorry, but I hope this may give you some ideas.

Sincerely,

Athena

The main reason for the connection is the apartment situation. I will be buying one when they are available, and going by memory, all of you characters have access to the apartment. The connection will explain why they share one (I am planning on asking for one of the big ones, and paying extra RP gems to have a second bed).

Now, Tala will not baby whatever "tree character" I play, they will be going out on their own, buying their own equipment, and making their own name. That is why it will be easy to justify in-character why they are never together. Besides, Tala prefers the forest to the city and will not use her apartment a whole lot.

As for complex backgrounds, I have to disagree with you. I like writing them because it helps me develop the character's personality. Tala's history is a perfect example. Not even she knows her background, so it will never come up. While the background on the two "mentioned" characters will probably never come up in-game, I am already developing personalities for both of them (and might wind up making both eventually - I like the ideas I have come up with).

My process might be odd to some, but it is what works for me.

I think perhaps you misunderstand me.

I do not find your process odd at all. I find your ideas creative and interesting. That being said. What I suggested was that you use your creativity and imagination while you Play your character. Instead of before you create it.

Complex backgrounds are creative and help to develop personality. I see that. However, I want you to understand that when you create such a complex background and then establish a personality because of it. It's ... not allowing you to create your character with others. You mentioned you wanted to Role Play this next character more. You mentioned that Tala is becoming anti-social. What I am suggesting is... Start with a Blank Slate. A Fresh Face. Someone who is ... green. New at everything. No baggage. Allow this character to develop her personality as you play her. Don't establish it ahead of time due to some past event. This way Everything she actually DOES in game will play a greater role on who she Really is. Don't be so controlling over who she is, what her personality is. Let her be innocent... As she is so young, so new, let her meet the world with no preconceived notions. Then make her react to everything around her.

If you do set up a history and a personality based on your made up history. Then no one else in game can have any influence over her. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. You can make your own history. But you asked for suggestions for a creative block. I am giving you a suggestion for allowing your creativity LOOSE and taking flight with it. Using every minute of play as inspiration. Using everyone you meet as inspiration.

Ultimately it's your choice. Some people need a solid background ... they can't be creative or improv. or be spontaneous. But, if you can, I find it very stimulating and I like when my characters surprise me. When they do something, I'd have never thought of.

I hope you understand my meaning.

sincerely,

Athena

I follow you now.

I do let the game shape and develop their personality, but the background is the foundation I need to start building. This may not be the best or most efficient process, but it is what works for me.

I do see the "other" votes are leading currently (thank you to those who voted). Unfortunately those do not help me very much, as I need help with the "other" character ideas (as I had mentioned).

So, if things do not change (vote-wise), I will wind up playing the Holy Warrior type (assuming the DMs give me permission), unless people start suggesting other ideas.

I am sorry, I did not vote so I don't see which way the vote is going, but if you ever want to talk character ideas, I'd love to chat with you. However, I hesitate to just suggest random character ideas with out getting immediate feedback to work with *smiles*

My only concern with your developed background is that too much of the personality is set before your character walks the face of RoA. As you said, Phoebe is "dark" and acts "like the B word"... that seems a bit too established a personality for a brand new level 2 character. I am sure she has her reasons. But, they are likely not IN game reasons and, it's a shame that makes your character unsuitable to play.

I only want you to have a character you LOVE to play and have fun with others as well. After all, if the game is not fun, why should we play? *smiles* all that aside. I have enjoyed RPing with you very much. I enjoy your characters and I think you are doing a whole LOT right. So please forgive me if my posts sound critical. I was only trying to challenge you to try something new.

sincerely,

Athena

When I started on the server, I didn't know a damn thing, both in and out of character. My first PC was a blank slate. I dreaded when someone asked where he came from, or directions somewhere, or anything about the world. But he still adventured and explored. He traveled along side a few other characters for most of his life, which they greatly shaped who he became, not the history I contrived for him. I don't think I mentioned his past until he was level 16 and by that time he'd done some traveling and I was able to construct one. So, with no preconceived background on my character, I wound up with a level 40 Druid/Barbarian living in the basement of a elven castle and searching for a sister he never knew he had.... It's amazing where you'll let the game take you if you let it.

I agree with what has been said already, but i think it should also be mentioned that, to play a Drow character, you require to submit an application. not that I'm saying you cant try and play one, just that if you want to your going to have to think up a short application to send in. otherwise the ideas look interesting!

really, what i do when i feel like trying a new character is that i make one. it doesn't have to have a plan or a purpose, i just have a single idea that comes into my head and i base around it, then evolve from there. sure sometimes it doesn't turn out, sometimes it does turn out, but not the way i originally wanted it. but really, if you keep worrying about it you might end up with something you didn't want anyway. simply go with the flow :) and keep at the character, at least until level 8, then pass judgment. I'm not saying you have to, but that is my advice.

I know I am risking sounding like an ass here... but I have a number of things which I think you need to at least be aware.

As Wolfy said, Drow will require an application. If you want to play such a character please send me an application request with background prior to making and playing said character on the server. The DMs will look this over and I will get back to you as soon as possible with either suggestions to change the background a bit, sometimes an immediate yes, or sometimes a straight out no; of course with an explanation.

I actually role-played Tala dragging her out (used the dice item to make strength and constitution checks no less).

Great that you want to RP when there is no one else there, really. But I want to make sure that we are on the same line as to what the result of any roll you make is: namely nothing. Without a DM present it is impossible to know what you are rolling against, so unless something is scripted you cannot influence something in the world in such a way without a DM present. So, I really applaud that you went and RPed all of this, but essentially it's jumping the gun. An exception to this is perhaps another player, if you are in agreement about the DC you are rolling against I don't mind a roll being used between players to determine some outcome. Note that this is not meant as a reprimanding or any such things, I merely want to make sure that we are all on the same line here.

I was thinking of having her be from say... 100 years int he past of Annakolia. With the help of Jania (or more likely the temple of Tyr given the path I am going with for this character) to restore her to flesh. She would have to retrain, since she spent so long in stone form.

Okay, essentially there are two points in this quote which I'd like to address. First of all, you assume that said statue is in fact a person turned to stone. Couldn't it just be a statue? Is there a reason to assume that it is in fact a person, or is it just because an NPC rather then a placeable was used to make the statue. Because if that is the case... then I think you will find a LOT of characters to make in the future; there are many instances of statues made by using an NPC rather then a placeable.

Next, let's assume for the heck of it that this is a person turned to stone. If this is the case then we are NOT taking about a level 2 character. Level 2 characters don't tend to go to hell. And last I checked being turned to stone does not cause you to delevel in any way. And all other things aside, I think this is perhaps the main issue with this character that links in to what has been said before: namely it is not a level 2 character. Sure, you give a semi-plausible explanation for the character being level 2 again, but essentially she has lived an entire life before she was turned to stone. In fact, I dare say if she went to hell she was likely high level before. So essentially you are making an epic level character with epic level experiences, only then give a reason to be level 2 anyway.

I personally don't see that as a great way to go. Characters start at level 2, and should generally have the life experiences of roughly a level 2 character. That doesn't mean they cannot be older, but if they are they didn't generally have an adventurous life in the past (as if they did, they wouldn't still be level 2). That means that they are relatively inexperienced and grow in both experience and as a person as they spend more time in the world. With this character you start of with an entire life already behind you. A life which you will need to fill in, with information you don't really know. After all, what was Annakolia like 100 years ago? Do you know this? Because she likely adventured a lot, as she got to a point where she was strong enough to at least ASSUME she stood a chance against the forces of hell. Or did being in stone for so long perhaps also cause her to lose her memory? And if so, then essentially the character has little personality left anyway (no memory, no experience), so why is there a need for such an elaborate background?

Okay... so far for burning it to the ground, time to get constructive.

The basic idea of a character having been turned to stone and rescued an X time later and having to rediscover the world, is not essentially a bad one. It's an interesting, creative, idea which allows for your character to discover the new world they find themselves in with a fresh outlook on the world. Old enemies, but also old friends are gone. As you seem to be asking for concrete character suggestions I will adhere to your request by giving you a more or less worked out example:

Say we take an inexperienced paladin, fresh out of the temple/paladin school. She lived in the period of the Third Giant War, which was around 1350 AE (After Elomen). If you want to know how long ago this has really been, check the current date in game. Being young and brave she sets out to on a quest to stop say... a certain Giant Mage who is terrorizing a local community. Despite her best efforts though, she proves to be no match for the mage who turns her into a statue and puts her on display to make a statement of her; warning all who dare go up against him. However, the Third Giant War eventually comes to an end and the statue is found by a local traveling merchant. Not knowing what it is he decides to take it along and put it on display to show off its extraordinary craftsmanship. He charges money for people to see it; fabricating some story around it about the statue bringing good fortune to those who touch it or some such. Many years pass and one day someone, or a bunch of someones come along and discover the statue and realize somehow that it is in fact a person. The group will need to somehow buy/steal the statue or distract said merchant while they cast a stone to flesh spell on it to free her. And we have a character.

What is the difference between this story and the Hell statue one? Well, first of all this character doesn't have a whole lot of experience. She was fresh out of paladin school/temple and simply was a tad too brave for her own good. It makes sense that she would start off at a low level. Next, she hasn't had a ton of adventuring experience, making it more likely that she would not know a lot of things from the time that she was previously alive in. So, you would still need a bit of background knowledge, but you wouldn't need to know what roughly half the world looked like 100 years back. This also gives her more chance to experience the world and let it shape her. So while retaining a number of aspects of the originally idea you essentially have a more open character who has much more humble beginnings and can make a name for herself through RP rather then already have been a great hero in some past life. And you do not need to rely on semi-plausible explanations to explain why she a) doesn't know what half the world looked like and B) why she is suddenly level 2 again even though she was capable of fighting in hell in her previous life.

I, for one, would be more then willing to run a one-shot in which said character is discovered. Now, of course I'd have to add a touch or two of surprises to keep it interesting, but with roughly a story like that I think a good game could be made. That would allow you both to introduce this character and also have other people rather then your own character be her saviors. Which, in turn, makes for a lot more RP opportunities for the future as you can actually meet these characters again in game. Maybe she will want to repay them in some way? Or perhaps she isn't thankful at all because they brought her back into a world where everything is different and all her old loved ones are now gone? Or maybe... well, let your creativity figure that out as you play I'd say.

Anyway, so far my... well, my bag of 2 cents. ;)