Tala

Rust monsters

Glad it made you smile, but your answer is incorrect.

I actually dug out my old monster manual (the one pictured below) to double check since they had little to no budget for art in those days and reused many of them.

monstermanual.jpg

I wish mine was in that good of shape.

It is funny, I have my old edition D&D stuff (and I am considering selling them since we need money) here at our apartment, but all my 3.0/3.5 edition stuff is at my mother's house (where we had to stay shortly).

I need to bring those books here.

Gary Gygax's comments on the origins of the Rust Monster from Dragon Magazine, Issue #88 (1984):

"When I picked up a bag of plastic monsters made in Hong Kong at the local dime store to add to the sand table array ... there was the figurine that looked rather like a lobster with a propeller on its tail ... nothing very fearsome came to mind ... Then inspiration struck me. It was a Rust Monster."

I'm thinking it was the dungeon masters guide...

We have a winner!

Your "No Prize" is in the mail.

I am curious to see how many get that reference.

Gary Gygax's comments on the origins of the Rust Monster from Dragon Magazine, Issue #88 (1984):

"When I picked up a bag of plastic monsters made in Hong Kong at the local dime store to add to the sand table array ... there was the figurine that looked rather like a lobster with a propeller on its tail ... nothing very fearsome came to mind ... Then inspiration struck me. It was a Rust Monster."

Wow, I must have missed that issue, because I did not remember it. Thanks for sharing!

My only concerns about rust monsters are these, as a long time dm and former Gm:

1. Lag issues, if they spawn too close then switching to missle weapons can fail easily, and you lose everything, all your kit and weapons

2. Are these the bugged rust monsters, that devour anything whether metal or not? Back on my old server, we had these, and banned their use due to that.

3. Luckily here fairly decent gear and weapons can be bought in stores, and gold is not so hard to gather. However, I worry for others now with unique items, or myself in the hopeful future, about these randomly destroying treasured items, made with the use of roleplay gems, just on an encounter table whim...