Raven

Haryon Hissen's Journal

After a long time, I finally begin writing the first chapter of my book about necromancy and the "undead". It took a lot of time and observation, but now I think I could make up a nice first chapter, that works as an introduction. I don't know where this will lead me, or if people will find it useful, but now I need to finish it.

Chapter one - Introduction

The study of the necromancy has been antagonized and even forbidden in the most diverse types of society. Thanks to that, terms like "Black Magic", "Undead" and "Negative Energy" became very popular and -- at the same time -- frightful. People tend to let necromancy lives in the house of the unknown.

However, in times where "Undeads" are ravaging the lands, the necromancy reveals itself as an excelent instrument of power and knowledge, the twin brothers needed to destroy the "Undeads".

The objetive of this book, before being an introduction to the art of manipulation of the life and the death, is to demystify the aura of fear and diffidence that exists around this arcanic tradition, explaining why someone should fear and why someone should study it.

The contents of this book are, by no means, definitive. It still need a lot of research, as the death and undeath phenomena is seen in different ways by humans, elves and hobbits. Because of that, this book is incomplete.

Every reader should be warned that no one can study necromancy without getting dirty.

Chapter 2

The necromantic states of substance

i) Inactive

Inactive is the substance that can't host life. Stones, steel and water are examples of inactive substances. These can't be affected by necromantic powers.

ii) Active

Active is substance that host natural or artificial life. Live and healthful bodies are actives, as well as plants. Supression energy affects the active substance.

iii) Necroinactive

Necroinactive is the substante that was hostess of natural life, but is not more. This kind of substance doesn't have any kind of activity and is on decomposition process. Dead and abandoned bodies are considered necroinactives.

iv) Necroactive

Necroactive is the substance that was active, become necroinactive, and then is animated, either through necromancy or self-activation. Supression energy affects the necroactive substances.

Chapter three

Types of Undead

The undeads are divided in two big groups.

i) Activated Undeads. These are the ones that becomes activated by an exterior force, like skeletons and some zombies. In this sense, there's no difference between an skeleton and an animated chair, as both returns to inactivity as soon as their energy is supressed. Because of this, they're the least dangerous kind of undead. It's unlikely that they have a soul.

ii) Self-activated undeads. These are the most dangerous kind of undead. Somehow, they found a way to activate themselves. Vampires, liches, wraiths, they don't need external sources of energy to be - they ARE their own energy sources. This means they are very close to imortality: the only way to defeat them is to supress their energy completely, and this can be very hard. It's very likely that they possess a soul, but they pay a price to be that close of immortality: liches are crazy, the wraiths are restless, etc...

The self-activated undeads are, mostly, the responsibles for the existance of the activated undeads. The precise origin of the self-activated undeads is still a mystery, and it's quite impossible to find the zero case, the first undead among all. One could wonder who was the first self-activated undead, the case zero, the one who started everything...