Sol Arbriel

The Arbriel's

Hello fellow Annakolians new and old,

More about who or what The Arbriel Family are.

Well they're more of a family of characters, or rather were as there happens to be a rule about family dynasty's being played by a single player on RoA.

So, well Sol Arbriel is in fact James and I live in England and am a college graduate with a BA Hons. in Film Studies and is now in nursing school, seems kinda weird for a wannabe movie maker to be in nursing school, well long story cut short, there isn't much support here in the UK for homegrown talent unless like say you're Simon Pegg,(he played Scotty in the new Star Trek movie if you didn't know), manage to make contact with important people in on the Hollywood (read US movie business) scene and then gain the support needed to make it in the biz.

Sadly despite my best efforts, including a trip to New York in February 2008 for a Film Festival, The New York International Film Festival, with a copy of a screenplay I had created with the help of 2 other writers here in England, which had prior to going to NY had been accepted into the festival by the organizers, I came back home to England empty handed with only the screenplay unchanged and no financial support to help get it made into a proper movie.

After a lot of tears and deliberation I had to face reality that my hopes for making it in the movie business were not going to happen. Along with the ever ongoing march of the aging process!

Nursing is turning out to be a great choice, I am enjoying every part of it. A bonus is that there is a lot of job vacancies and not just in my locality but also the world over.

Once I have graduated nursing school it is my aim to then emigrate from England to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I have already made contact with relevant organizations in Vancouver with the aim of ensuring that I will have the appropriate skills needed to practice nursing once I arrive there. I will have little in the way of money once I arrive and so securing a nursing post asap once arriving is of vital importance. It is almost impossible to apply for posts prior to leaving England as I must sit an exam that enables me to pass fit to practice in B.C, Yukon, Saskatchewan, Alberta & Manitoba, should I so choose. This exam cannot be sat outside of Canada.

I am hopeful that a rule will be written into law that will enable me to apply and hopefully secure a job while I wait for my exam results, even if I will have to be supervised at all times!

Now about Dungeon's & Dragon's, including Advanced Dungeon's & Dragon's.This all began for me in 1983 with a short stint with a school friend playing D&D. This ended when he and his parents moved away and I think to the USA. Then one year later or so in 1984 when my two other brother's, I'm in the middle, first started playing with school friends at home. Somehow I decided to give the tabletop game another go with memories of playing D&D with that school friend still in mind we began with the 1st edition of AD&D, followed very shortly after starting with the 2nd edition. Ever since then I have been hooked.

AD&D at this time was popular here and I can remember the game even managed to make it to the evening TV news bulletins, we didn't have 24 hour rolling TV stations back then, in fact the TV choice during my teenage years was limited to a maximum of 5 channels, which none broadcast 24/7. Midnight or 1am was end of broadcast on average with resumption at around 6am. The BBC even stopped broadcasting in the mid afternoon each weekday from around 1.30pm after the BBC news at 1pm with only a test card showing until around 3pm, with the first shows aimed at children until 5.30pm. I can actually remember rushing home from school to watch my favorite show, at the time, we didn't have a VCR until 1987 or 88 and reruns or repeats of children's TV shows were almost unheard of then as they tended to be live broadcasts. Reruns in general, movies and pre-recorded shows were not as soon after first showing, usually a year or two later anyway.

Now a big jump to 2004 and along came Neverwinter Nights. At this time I only had Apple Macintosh (OSX) and the version for OSX was released a full two years after the Windows version. I still have OSX and much newer Apple hardware that is also capable of running Windows XP Pro. So I have NWN for Mac & PC!

So now armed with a computer, 2 separate versions of NWN, I can role-play as much as I wish, almost when I wish and not have to try to arrange play times around parents and their plans for weekends and meal times!

That's pretty much it for Sol - I mean James!

Hope to see you each in game soon!